Tuesday, January 20, 2009

There aren’t many words to describe this right now. It’s totally crazy!!!! I woke up around 6:30 and the street was full of people lining up for the parade. Not the actual swearing in, but the parade. Precious and I watched outside for about 20 minutes and we couldn’t contain ourselves anymore so we came downstairs to the lobby. It was packed. People are everywhere; standing around, going to breakfast, or trying to figure out how to get to Pennsylvania Ave. (I know the hotel is on Pennsylvania but it’s all blocked off.) Precious and I went outside because I just had to feel the emotions from the crowd. Everybody is really cool. Nobody complaining about the cold temperature, long lines, or long walks. We all are just excited to be here. We are watching CNN with the rest of the country that’s not outside. The rooftop is supposed to be open really soon!!! Oh yeah, there are so many police here. We have seen police from Seattle, Washington, the state police of Utah, the New Jersey state police, and from a Georgia sheriff’s department. I have so many emotions right now; I am excited, anxious, and proud. All of these emotions are ready to explode. I have so much energy right now the kids think I’m crazy. I will cherish this moment forever.

These are some thoughts I jotted down last night before I went to sleep….

My 12th grade English teacher (Mrs. Willis) told us we only have about 10 momentous occasions in our life. We will have some really great days but few that you will carry with you for a lifetime. I believe this inauguration may be one of my ten. I think this because this occasion impacts not only my life but everybody. This is the past, present, and future coming together as one. There are people here who fought to correct injustices during the civil rights movement, people who enjoy the benefits of those struggles (me), and little ones that are excited but haven’t the slightest idea why. I think about the elders that paved the way who are filled with joy and pride. I think about myself and question, “How can I impact my world?” Today’s inauguration is not only a government event; it is a symbol of hope and change. It is the potential to strive toward greatness. Why else would millions make the journey to D.C. to get a glimpse of a man? It’s no longer about a man this is about our destiny to be great! How great it is that we can experience this hands on?

Shavicka

No comments:

Post a Comment