Friday, January 23, 2009

It’s 4:05 central time and we are on our way back to Nashville. We have slept most of the morning because we didn’t really sleep in DC. I mean, who can sleep when so many excited things are going on? Last night the ball was fun. The kids definitely had more fun than me because I was sleepy by 10:30. I am not as young as I used to be and that was way past my bedtime. As you can see on the pictures they looked absolutely fabulous in their ball attire. It was fun watching Precious and Kerry teach Joel how to 2- step and watching Eric get excited about the ice cream.

If you have been reading our blogs you can see how much we enjoyed our time in DC as well as enjoyed each other’s company. Each person had something unique to offer to the group to make it special. They have forged a bond through this historical week. We took four kids that had never met and watched them grow into friends in four days. I look at the progress they have made and am proud to have shared in this moment with them. Also when you look at the blogs you can see each kid come out of their shell and become more comfortable with each other and themselves. I believe we all learned something about ourselves this week.

I will replay each of the special moments we shared in my mind often as this has been the most memorable trip ever. As we return home and the kids are debating whether they want to go to school tomorrow we are still filled with excitement about what we witnessed first hand. I can’t wait to tell my nephews, godson, and the kids in USSAA about my trip. I am forever grateful that the Stafford Foundation wanted regular folks to experience an inauguration and that Rep. Brenda Gilmore wanted our YMCA to be represented. I hope you have enjoyed reading about our trip as much as we enjoyed telling you about it.

Shavicka

No comments:

Post a Comment